World Press Freedom Day (WPFD) is an annual celebration of press freedom, observed on 3 May 2021 and whose main celebration is organized by the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
It serves as a reminder to governments of the need to respect their commitment to press freedom and is also a day of reflection among media professionals about issues of press freedom and professional ethics.
This year’s World Press Freedom Day theme “Information as a Public Good” serves as a call to affirm the importance of cherishing information as a public good, and exploring what can be done in the production, distribution and reception of content to strengthen journalism, and to advance transparency and empowerment while leaving no one behind. The theme is of urgent relevance to all countries across the world. It recognizes the changing communications system that is impacting on our health, our human rights, democracies and sustainable development.
World Press Freedom Day: History
In December 1993, the UN General Assembly proclaimed World Press Freedom Day, following the recommendation of UNESCO’s General Conference. Since then, on 3 May, the anniversary of the Declaration of Windhoek is celebrated across the world as World Press Freedom Day. The day act as a reminder to the governments of the need to respect their commitment to press freedom.
To underline the importance of information within our online media environment, WPFD 2021 will highlight three key topics:
- Steps to ensure the economic viability of news media;
- Mechanisms for ensuring transparency of Internet companies;
- Enhanced Media and Information Literacy (MIL) capacities that enable people to recognize and value, as well as defend and demand, journalism as a vital part of information as a public good.
World Press Freedom Day 2021 Messages, Quotes, And Greetings
_ No walls or limitations should be big enough to contain the right to free speech. Be free and speak your heart out. Best wishes to you on this occasion of World Press Freedom Day.
_ We exist on this earth to be able to speak our mind and follow our hearts. Let your words reach the masses. Wish you a very happy World Press Freedom Day.
_ Don’t let anyone stop you from being heard. Help the community and exercise your right to free speech. Best wishes to you on this occasion of World Press Freedom Day.
Pen is the mightiest sword. Speak out loud and stand up together against social issues. Best wishes to you on this occasion of World Press Freedom Day.
_ On this occasion of World Press Freedom Day we must all remember that freedom of the press is not an end in itself but a means to achieve a free society. Happy World Press Freedom Day.
_ “The role of journalism is to monitor any center of power.” Speak free. Best wishes to you on this occasion of World Press Freedom Day.
_ Don’t let anyone silence the voice of the society and the people. Stand together and let the press be free on this day. Wish you a very happy World Press Freedom Day.
_ Let justice speak up by giving enough power to people to speak freely. Best wishes to you on this occasion of World Press Freedom Day.
_ “The only security of all is in a free press.” Let the voice of society be free. Best wishes to you on this occasion of World Press Freedom Day.
World press freedom Day 2021 theme
“The theme of this year’s World Press Freedom Day, “Information as a Public Good”, underlines the indisputable importance of verified and reliable information. It calls attention to the essential role of free and professional journalists in producing and disseminating this information, by tackling misinformation and other harmful content.”
World Press Freedom Day: Celebrations
– Several cultural events are organised to determine the significance of press freedom.
– Initiatives of several nations are coordinated by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and most of the time it serves as an organising partner to foster the freedom of expression.
– UNESCO conferred awards to the deserving organisations, individuals or institutions that have made commendable contributions in the promotion and defence of press freedom in any part of the world.
– In India, it is celebrated to salute the media journalists who risked their lives in providing information or sometimes lost their lives in the duty itself.
– Various Government officers, ministers take part while organising several events like art exhibitions; honour awards for the journalists who have risked their lives on duty etc. on this day in India.
But due to COVID-19 pandemic, the celebrations goes online. World Press Freedom Conference 2021 provides an opportunity to journalists, civil society representatives, national authorities, academics etc. to discuss the emerging challenges to press freedom and journalist’s safety and to work together to find out the solutions. Since 1993, the conference is organised annually.