National Forest Martyrs Day is observed in India on 9/11 per year to recollect the sacrifice of these who laid their lives to guard the forests and wildlife across the remote corners of the country.
The Ministry of Environment and Forest made the declaration in 2013 and since then, people across India observe National Forest Martyrs Day per year on 9/11 to pay tributes to the valour and sacrifice made the forest personnel to guard the forests and wildlife of India.
National Forest Martyrs Day History
The National Forest Martyrs Day is observed to commemorate the Khejarli massacre, which happened on 9/11 in 1730. During the massacre, Rajasthan’s Maharaja Abhay Singh started cutting the Khejarli trees, which were considered as a sacred tree within the Bishnoi community in Khejarli village in Rajasthan.
A woman, reportedly named Amrita Devi stood up in resistance and offered her head rather than Khejarli trees. the military of Abhay Singh beheaded her and her three daughters who stood up in resistance after their mother. The decapitation continued with 359 more men from the Bishnoi community beheaded by the military before the news of the massacre reached the king himself.
When Abhay Singh heard the dreadful news, he immediately ordered his men to prevent the cutting of the trees and honoured the courage of the Bishnoi community. The King also apologised to the community and issued a decree engraved on a copper plate to ban the cutting of Khejarli trees and hunting of animals within and near Bishnoi villages forever.
National Forest Martyrs Day 2021 Quotes
- “Gold may be a luxury. Trees are necessities. Man can live and thrive without gold, but we cannot survive without trees.” – Paul Bamikole
- “The forest isn’t a resource for us, it’s life itself. it’s the sole place for us to measure .” – Evaristo Nugkuag
- “The clearest way into the Universe is thru a forest wilderness.”- Muir
- “The trees will tell their secrets to people who tune .”- Steven Magee
- “The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins.” ― Kierkegaard
- “The forests are the lungs of the world” – Woody Harrelson
- “In the woods we return to reason and faith.”– Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Deep down, at the molecular heart of life, the trees, and that we are essentially identical.”– Carl Sagan
- “The woods seemed all answer and healing and quite enough to measure for.”- Josephine Winslow Johnson
- “It is claimed that the forest features a certain limit if you look straight ahead, but the edges are boundless.” – Riccardo Bozzi
- “We can learn tons from the forests, regrowth, change and wonder .”-Catherine Pulsifer
- “Dreams appear as seeds that when planted, must become a forest reserve.” – Israelmore Ayivor
- “Nature isn’t an area to go to . it’s home.”- Gary Snyder
- “In all things of nature there’s something of the marvellous.”- Aristotle
- “The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I even have promises to stay , and miles to travel before I sleep.”- Frost
National Forest Martyrs Day: Messages
-This day is celebrated in remembrance of those who laid down their lives to protect nature in India’s remotest corner.
-National Forest Martyrs Day is to remember the sacrifices of our forest officials who rendered commendable services to the nation to protect natural resources.
-To pay tributes to the forest martyrs, the Forest Department of India holds events, observes 2 minutes mourn and give gun salutes on the day.
-We should not forget that it is deadly to fight against poachers and smugglers. Forest officials fight against all the odds and are not afraid to lay down their lives to save the forest.
-Every responsible citizen of India must join hands with forest officials to conserve natural resources and protect biodiversity.
-A few only know about the National Forest Martyrs Day. Let us educate people around us and celebrate this day.
-Let us put our efforts to make it known to more and more people and inspire them to come forward and commemorate the sacrifice of all the martyrs who gave up their lives for conserving nature.
-The day is being celebrated every year now. So let us educate our friends, and let them know about this great day.
Activities for National Forest Martyrs Day 2021
Here are a number of the relevant and possible activities which will be held as a neighborhood of the National Forest Martyrs Day.
Spread the Word
Forests are basically the lifelines which are necessary for the very existence of life on earth. On this National Forest Martyrs Day, don’t recoil from spreading the word regarding the importance of forests. Use different available methods of communication to make awareness amongst the folk .
Learn the facts
Our country boasts many lush green forests. So, allow us to take a while to find out the facts and figures about these forests and keep ourselves informed. Identify the zones that require to be taken care of and work for the goal.
Plant a Tree
What are often a real observance of this big day , without planting a sapling today! Dig out a pit yourself and plant a sapling. Slowly watch it grow and let your soul rejoice.
Salute the Martyrs
Forest martyrs deserve equal importance as the other martyrs. So, honour what they need done to conserve and preserve the forests around us. Salute them and promise that they’re going to not be forgotten. These unsung heroes need to be remembered beyond infinity.
Schedule significant events
A myriad of events like poster designing, painting, slogan writing., etc are often conducted within the context of National Forest Martyrs Day. So, organize such an occasion and let the skills shine.