World Turtle Day is celebrated annually on May 23 to spread awareness among humans to help them survive and thrive in their natural environment. This day aims to raise knowledge about turtles and tortoises. This special day was founded in the year 1990 by the American Tortoise Rescue to help people celebrate and protect turtles and their disappearing habitat around the globe.
To mark this day, every year, people celebrate World Turtle Day by dressing up as turtles to spread awareness regarding this species. On this day, people also organise rescue operations from highways and roads and return them to their natural habitats. Now, as the day is right around the corner, we have brought you some interesting and lesser-known facts about turtles you might not know
History of World Turtle Day
American Tortoise Rescue, a nonprofit organization established in 1990 for the protection of all species of tortoise and turtle, is sponsoring our annual World Turtle Day on May 23. The day was created as a yearly observance to help people celebrate and protect turtles and tortoises and their disappearing habitats around the world.
Susan Tellem and Marshall Thompson, founders of ATR and World Turtle Day, advocate humane treatment of all animals, including reptiles. Since 1990, ATR has placed about 4,000 tortoises and turtles in caring homes. ATR assists law enforcement when undersize or endangered turtles are confiscated and provides helpful information and referrals to persons with sick, neglected or abandoned turtles.
Purpose of World turtle Day
The purpose of World Turtle Day, May 23, sponsored yearly since 2000 by American Tortoise Rescue, is to bring attention to, and increase knowledge of and respect for, turtles and tortoises, and encourage human action to help them survive and thrive.
World Turtle Day 2021 Interesting Facts
1. As we all know, Turtle is the oldest reptile, but not many know that its origin dates back to nearly 200 million years back, which is during the time of Dinosaurs.
2. The largest sea turtle, the leatherback turtle, weigh more than 1000 pounds and can grow up to 8 feet in length.
3. People believe that the shell of the turtle is an exoskeleton. However, it is actually their ribcage and spine. The shell is made of around 50 bones and grows with the age, just like a human skeleton.
4. People believe turtle is the calmest species, although they are not. They are as loud as cats or dogs, and the range of their noise can be anything from dog-like barking to chicken like clucks depending on their species.
5. There are a total of 300 species of turtles across the globe, out of which 129 species are endangered because of human interruptions. They come in all shapes and sizes, the bog turtle can be as small as 4-inches, while the leathery turtle can weigh over 1000 pounds
6. Not many know, turtles have two shells, one that is visible on top, called the carapace and the other below the body of a turtle. The lower shell is known as a plastron, which joins the upper shell along both sides of the body creating a skeletal box.
7. Turtles don’t nurture their babies, rather they leave them alone after laying their eggs. The babies make their own way to the sea after hatching.
8. Interestingly, Female turtles can store sperm in their bodies for up to four years after mating.
World Turtle Day Quotes, Sayings, Messages, Greetings, Facts, Images, Pictures, Photos & Wallpapers
1. Try to be like the turtle – at ease in your own shell. – Bill Copeland
2. World turtle day is here to make every person aware of the sorry state in which turtles are living. – Unknown
3. God has made humans the most intelligent ones and hence it stands as our responsibility to take care of the turtles who are about to get extinct.
4. Turtles are an amazing creature of the God having more intelligence than humans. – Unknown
5. Turtles are beautiful and cute but they are innocent and deserving of a better life. – Unknown
6. Turtles have their own life, let them live safely. – Unknown
7. Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out. – James Bryant Conant
8. I am now a turtle. Virtually everything I own is on my back and suffice it to say I am one ton lighter and therefore 2,000 pounds happier. All houses are gone. – Bobby Darin
9. The conscience of mankind is what paves the way for turtle’s existence on earth and the future of their breed. – Unknown
10. Keep moving, no matter what pace, just keep moving. It is an essential lesson learnt from a turtle. – Unknown
11. It is only about time that turtles will only be found in textbooks and internet. – Unknown
12. Take a walk with a turtle. And behold the world in pause. – Bruce Feiler
13. Every Sea and ocean is incomplete without the population of turtles. – Unknown
14. Turtles are great in the ocean and not on your plates. – Unknown
15. Walk slow like the turtle but stay focused too and you will get victory assured. – Unknown
16. A turtle is at its happiest best when they float in the sea and stay safe from waste. – Unknown
17. We can all contribute in small ways in saving the lives of turtles in the world. – Happy World Turtle Day!
18. Turtles, the wonderful creature of God. Let’s share awareness about World Turtle Day!
19. We have grown seeing these cute animals around us and now it is our responsibility to make sure that our coming generations also get to see them and love them.
20. Let us save the little turtles by showing our responsibility as a human, Let us celebrate the World Turtle Day together.