World No Tobacco Day (WNTD) 2021: It is also known as Anti-Tobacco Day. It is observed on 31 May annually in the whole world to spread awareness and educate people about the harmful effects of tobacco on health. Let us read in detail about World No Tobacco Day, 2021 theme, history and health effects of tobacco.
World No Tobacco Day or Anti Tobacco Day 2021 Theme
This year the theme of World No Tobacco day is: Quit tobacco to be a winner. There are several campaign materials, which can be used widely to tell people the dangers of using tobacco. You can also post on Twitter and other social media platforms, pictures and ideas of what can be done in our neighbourhoods to help people quit tobacco using #CommitToQuit
World No Tobacco Day or Anti Tobacco Day: History
In 1987, the Member States of the World Health Organisation (WHO) created World No Tobacco Day to draw global attention to the tobacco epidemic and the preventable death and disease it causes.
World Health Assembly on 15 May,1987 passed a resolution calling for 7 April 1988 “a World No-Smoking Day”. This date was chosen because it was the 40th anniversary of the World Health Organization.
Further, in 1988 another resolution was passed for celebrating World No Tobacco Day every year on 31st May.
The day also focuses on the impact of tobacco on the cardiovascular health of people. It may be the risk factor of causing coronary heart disease, stroke and peripheral vascular disease. Also, the day will provide knowledge to people that tobacco is one of the leading causes of cardiovascular disease (CVD).
World No Tobacco Day Significance
In order to increase the importance of this day, groups and organisations around the globe, from local clubs to city councils to national governments, are encouraged by the WHO to raise events each year to help societies celebrate World No Tobacco Day. Past events have included letter-writing campaigns to government officials and local newspapers, marches, public debates, local and national publicity campaigns, anti-tobacco activist meetings, educational programming, and public art. The international day has also been used for discussing the current and future state of a country as it relates to tobacco.
Facts about Tobacco
– Do you know that tobacco is a product of fresh leaves of nicotiana plants?
– It was originated in America but introduced to the French court by Jean Nicot in the 16th century and popularised throughout Europe.
– Soon it became popular and an important crop for trade.
– In the 1900s some medical research made it clear that tobacco increases health problems like heart attacks, strokes, cancer etc.
– People use tobacco in the form of cigarettes, cigars, bidis, chew tobacco, snuff, gutkha etc.
According to WHO,
Tobacco kills half of its users and more than 8 million people each year. Direct tobacco use deaths are more than 7 million and around 1.2 million are the result of non-smokers being exposed to second-hand smoke. Also, over 80% of the world’s 1.3 billion tobacco users live in low and middle-income countries.
Life is a precious gift of nature; we should value life and should not waste it by doing senseless and meaningless things. Tobacco can make you happy for some time or give pleasure for some time but a healthy person with no such habits can lead a good and happy life and can go far in life.
“Health is like money. You never know the value of it until you lost it.” by Josh Billings.
World No Tobacco Day quotes to spread awareness
- Replacing the smoke on your face with a smile today will replace illness in your life with happiness tomorrow. Quit now.
- Eliminate tobacco from your life before it kills you!
- We need to burn calories daily, not tobacco!
- If we lose the battle against tobacco, we will lose the war against cancer.
- Smoking cigarettes is like paying to have your life cut shorter – the most foolish thing anyone can ever do.
- Exercising is one of the best ways to quit smoking. Working out is when you will truly realize how cigarettes have made you weaker. It will be difficult but you will need to remind yourself of the prize at the end of the journey – a better life. Go for it.
- If you can’t stop smoking, cancer will.
- Smoking is like paying someone to kill you. They’re rich; you’re dead.
- Smoking does not make you a KILLER per se, but your heart will drown in GUILT if second-hand smoke gave someone in your own family a life-threatening disease. Save a lifetime of regret – quit today.
- Smoking leaves an unseen scar. It fills your insides with toxins and tar.
- Burn calories, not cigarettes. Kick the butt – you can work out and get a better one.”
- Smoking thrills, but it also kills.
- The best way to stop smoking is to just stop – no ifs, ands or buts.
- Smoking will be a crime in time.
- Cigarettes are killers travelling in packs.
- Tobacco kills. If you’re killed, you’ve lost a very important part of your life.
- Smoking.. a grave mistake.
- Sometimes quitters do win.
- Stop… you are burning your life.
- The true face of smoking is disease, death and horror – not the glamour and sophistication the pushers in the tobacco industry try to portray.
- Cigarette: A fire at one end, a fool at the other, and a bit of tobacco in between.
- Take a better route; put that smoke out.
- Tar the roads; not your lungs.
- Replace your cigarettes with a glass of juice daily.
- Eliminate smoking to bring a smile to many faces in your life.
- Eliminate smoking and be the real hero of your family.
- Quit smoking today to get happiness tomorrow!
- Cancer is caused by tobacco and it is a disease that gives a person a death sentence in the majority of the cases. So stay healthy and have a very Happy World No Tobacco Day!
- Tobacco kills more people than any other addiction and it’s time we educate people young and old people alike to stay away from tobacco. Happy World No Tobacco Day!
- It may be difficult to quit smoking at first but it is not impossible. Have a healthy and positive World No Tobacco Day!
- It is never easy to quit an addiction and we salute those ex-smokers who have managed to get past their habit. Happy World No Tobacco Day!
- Stop consuming tobacco and have a healthy World No Tobacco Day!
- Spread the word against tobacco and raise awareness. Have an awareful World No Tobacco Day!
- Let us all urge our brothers and sisters and uncles and aunts to give up smoking for the sake of their precious lives and the lives of others that they hold dear to them. Have an awareful World No Tobacco Day.
- When you take a puff of your precious cigarette, do you ever think of how your health will affect the lives of your wife and children? If you don’t its time you do. Have an awareful World No Tobacco Day everyone.
- Smoking gives you the pleasure of a moment but kills you in the process. Have an awareful World No Tobacco Day people!
- You get just one life to live and do not let it go in vain by harming yourself and your loved ones. Have an awareful World Tobacco Day everyone!
- No temporary pleasure especially tobacco is worth destroying your health and mind. Have a great World No Tobacco Day people!
- Your family and friends need you. Save their lives and save yours. Happy World No Tobacco Day!
- Life is not easy and you should know where to put your efforts so that you get something worthy out of it and trust me, putting efforts in giving up smoking will be one of the most difficult things to do, but also the most rewarding one. So Happy World No Tobacco Day!
- If you need the motivation to quit tobacco, just look at the innocent faces of your kids and think if they deserve to lose a parent. Have an awareful World No Tobacco Day people!
World No Tobacco Day Status
- “Happy World No Tobacco Day to everyone. This world can become a much better place if we throw away tobacco from our lives.”
- “Spread love and not smoke. Quit tobacco and not life. On the occasion of World No Tobacco Day, let us make everyone aware of the harmful effects of tobacco.”
- “Don’t let the slow poison of tobacco fill your life with negativity. Wishing a very Happy World No Tobacco Day.”
- “Happy World No Tobacco Day to all the students. You have a bright future waiting for you, don’t fog it up smoke.”
- “Life is all about taking up good habits and giving up on the bad ones. Happy World No Tobacco Day to all the students.”
- “Warm greetings on World No Tobacco Day. Say no to tobacco and yes to life to celebrate this day with high spirits.”
World No Tobacco Day Slogans
- “Smoking takes life…. Cut it out from your life!!!”
- “If you love your family then say no to smoking and tobacco.”
- ” Make this No Tobacco Day more meaningful by keeping it away from your life.”
- ” Let us have an environment free from the smoke so that our coming generations can breathe free.”
- “A healthy heart and a happy smile come to your life when you leave smoking.”
- “Either smoke can stay in your life or good health…. Choose what you want.”
- “You can only dream for a healthier environment if there is no smoke to pollute it.”
- Cancer Is No Joke, So Put Down That Smoke.
- Cigarettes Are Killers That Travel In Packs.
- Cigarettes Burn Holes In Your Pocket.
- It Kills You From The Inside Out, Finds Out What Smoking Is All About.
- It Looks Just As Stupid When You Do It.
- Kissing A Smoker Is Like Licking An Ashtray.
- Life Thrills, Smoking Kills.
- Nothing Good From A Cigarette, It Just Gives Health Problems And Debt.
- Smoke And Choke.
- Smoke Away Your Worries, Not Your Lungs.
- Smoke Is Like Suicide, It Is Death In Anticipation.
- Cigarettes: You Take My Breath Away.
- Did You Know Your Mouth Is On Fire?
- Don’t Be A Wacko Stop Tobacco!
- Don’t Smoke, It’s Not A Joke.
- Everyone Has A Right To Clean Air.
- For More Information On Lung Cancer, Keep Smoking.
- How Long Can You Live.
- I Don’t Dig Your Cig.
- If God Had Wanted Us To Smoke, He Would Have Given Us A Separate Hole For It.
- If One Thing Is True, Smoking Isn’T Good For You.
- If You Can’t Stop Smoking, Cancer Will.
- If You Think Smoking Is Cool, You’Re A Fool.
- A Cigarette Says: Today You Turn Me Into Ashes, But Tomorrow Is My Turn.
- Be Brighter, Put Down The Lighter
- Be Smart, Don’t Start.
- Breathe Healthily, Live Happily.
- Cancer Cures Smoking.