World Alzheimer’s Day is observed annually on 21st September round the world with the first aim to boost awareness and challenge the common stigma that surrounds Alzheimer related dementia.
‘On World Alzheimer’s day, several Alzheimer’s organizations round the globe unite together in creating awareness to fight memory-robbing diseases like Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.’
World Alzheimer’s Day 2021 Theme
Know Dementia, Know Alzheimer’s
The theme for the 2021 campaign is Know Dementia, Know Alzheimer’s and it is all about the power of knowledge. During the campaign, we are shining a light on the warning signs of dementia and the importance of a timely diagnosis.
Aim of the Campaign
The chief goal of the campaign is to:
Increase awareness about Alzheimer’s among people
Provide information associated with prevention of the disease through lifestyle modification
To give better medical aid to patients also as their families
Identifying people with Alzheimer’s is important to start out global campaigns
Assess and promote medical care and social services given to Alzheimer’s patients
What is Alzheimer’s?
Alzheimer’s is an irreversible, progressive disease and may be a common explanation for dementia that impairs intellectual and social skills. People with this disease may initially experience mild confusion and have difficulty in remembering things. Eventually, they undergo dramatic personality changes.
History of Alzheimer’s Day
Various Alzheimer’s organizations round the world unite their efforts on raising awareness about Alzheimer’s and dementia on World Alzheimer’s Day. Originally today was a neighborhood of World Alzheimer’s Month, but it had been separately launched in September 21st, 1994 to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Alzheimer Disease International (ADI) association.
Since its initiation, the impact of World Alzheimer’s Day is rising. However, the stigmatization and lack of data surrounding dementia remains to be a worldwide issue that involves global action.
Facts and Statistics on Alzheimer’s
- Approximately 46 million people live with dementia worldwide, consistent with the Alzheimer’s Association
- By 2050, over 13,150,000 people are going to be suffering from Alzheimer’s
- Women have a better risk of Alzheimer’s compared to men
- Heart disease can increase the danger of Alzheimer’s
- Alzheimer’s is that the sixth-leading explanation for death in America
- Above 5.7 million Americans live with Alzheimer’s
- Nearly 35 percent of dementia healthcare providers face a big decline in their health
Simple Lifestyle Tweaks to assist you Reduce the danger of Alzheimer’s
- Sweat-Smile-Repeat: workout is important for your psychological state as regular exercise can decrease Alzheimer’s disease risk up to 50 percent.
- Adopt a Healthy Diet: Eating a healthy diet benefits both your body and brain. Many studies have shown that MIND diet can lower your risk of cognitive decline. MIND diet is brief for “Mediterranean-DASH Intervention for Neurodegenerative Delay,” which incorporates foods like vegetable oil , berries, nuts, and dark, leafy greens.
- Don’t Stress: Stress appears to be related to the onset of Alzheimer’s disease . Chronic stress can damage brain areas, which may eventually cause depression and dementia. few stress management techniques like meditation, yoga and breathing techniques can assist you relax and reduce stress.
- Stay Connected: Lonely people are at a better risk of developing dementia related to Alzheimer’s disease . Stay engaged with friends and families that are important to you.
- Stay Mentally Active: Individuals who are mentally active are less likely to encounter stress, low mood, and depression. Hence brain training exercises like puzzles, crosswords, etc., can improve your brain function and keep off cognitive decline.
So, let’s join together and reach bent those suffering from Alzheimer’s wherever they’re and allow us to support them to measure a satisfying and independent life.
World Alzheimer’s Day 2021 Quotes
I think the earlier stages of Alzheimer’s are the hardest. Particularly because the person knows that they are losing awareness. They’re aware that they’re losing awareness, and you see them struggling.
Alzheimer’s is a disease for which there is no effective treatment whatsoever. To be clear, there is no pharmaceutical agent, no magic pill that a doctor can prescribe that will have any significant effect on the progressive downhill course of this disease.
The great tragedy of Alzheimer’s disease, and the reason why we dread it, is that it leaves us with no defence, not even against those who love us.
–P. D. James
Alzheimer’s is a devastating disease. It was painful for me and my family to watch my grandfather deteriorate. We must find a cure for this horrible disease.
–David Hyde Pierce
I think the best thing I ever did with my life was stand up and say I’ve got Alzheimer’s.
Do you know what Irish Alzheimer’s is? It’s when you forget everything but your grudges.