International Translation Day 2021: The day provides us a chance to pay tribute to the work of language professionals. The importance of translation in our lifestyle is multidimensional. Translation paves the way forward for worldwide interaction and also allows nations to forge interactive relationships when it involves creating advancements in technology, politics, etc.
The UN General Assembly adopted resolution 71/288 on 24 May 2017, on the role of language professionals in connecting nations and fostering peace, and declared September 30 as International Translation Day.
International Translation Day 2021: Theme
The theme of International Translation Day 2021 is “United in translation.” The theme focuses on world union with the assistance of translation. As only due to translation we are ready to interpret what we read and translators confirm that we are ready to do this easily.
International Translation Day: History
Do you know that International Translation Day is a recent entry into the calendar of world events? It is established by the International Federation of Translators (FIT). Celebrating this day annually is to pay tribute to the work of translators and the interpreters who break down the language barriers to make the world a slightly smaller place. This day is celebrated with a series of events, seminars, and symposiums across the world.
On 24 May 2017, the General Assembly adopted a resolution 71/288 to proclaim 30 September as International Translation Day after considering the role of professionals in connecting nations and fostering peace, understanding, and development.
30 September was chosen because this date celebrates the feast of St. Jerome, the Bible translator who is considered the patron saint of translators. These celebrations have been promoted by FIT (the International Federation of Translators) which was set up in 1953. Even in 1991 FIT launched the idea of an officially recognised International Translation Day to show the solidarity of the worldwide translation community and also to promote the translation profession in several countries.
International Translation Day: Significance
Let us tell you that the translator and interpreter are two professions dedicated to one goal that is facilitating communication between people. Both interpreters and translators are at the junction point that impacts the development of business, science, medicine, technology, international law, politics, and a host of other areas. This will provide the ability for each of these in the world to learn from each other to the benefit of society as a whole.
According to UNESCO, cultural heritage as mentioned in this year’s theme does not end with “monuments and collections of objects”. It includes intangible cultural heritage such as knowledge, beliefs, and practices concerning people, nature, and our relationships with the universe. This not only helps in intercultural participation but also encourages mutual respect for other ways of life.
Therefore, International Translation Day highlights the role of translation to encourage the profession which helps in promoting an understanding of the intangible cultural heritage and mutual respect in our changing world.
International Translation Day 2021: Quotes
- “Translation isn’t a matter of words only: it’s a matter of creating intelligible an entire culture.” – Burgess
- “To have another language is to possess a second soul.” – Charlemagne
- “Translation is that which transforms everything in order that nothing changes.” – Grass
- “If the translator does his job as he should, he’s a benefactor of humanity; otherwise, he’s a veritable public enemy.” – Miguel Sanz
- “Words travel worlds. Translators do the driving”. – Anna Rusconi
- “Without translation, we might be living in provinces bordering on silence.” – George Steiner
- “A translator may be a reader, an interpreter and a creator beat one.” – Bijay Kumar Das
- “It is neither the simplest nor the worst things during a book that defy translation”. – Friedrich Nietzsche
- “Translating is producing analogous effects with different implements.” – Paul Valery
- “The ideal reader may be a translator. He or she will pull a text to pieces, remove its skin, cut it to the bone, follow each artery and vein and thence fashion a replacement living being.” – Alberto Manguel
- “Translating is usually about making sacrifices; however, nothing essential should be sacrificed.” – Enrique Diez-Canedo
- “If the translator does his job as he should, he’s a benefactor of humanity; otherwise he’s a veritable public enemy.” – Miguel Saenz
- “Without translation, i might be limited to the borders of my very own country. The translator is my most vital ally. He introduces me to the planet .” – Calvino
- “The neatest thing on translation was said by Cervantes: translation is that the other side of a tapestry.” – Leonardo Sciascia
- “If you ask a person during a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you ask him in his language, that goes to his heart.” – Mandela
- “The art of translation lies less in knowing the opposite language than in knowing your own.” – Ned Rorem
- “A translator need to endeavor not only to mention what his author has said, but to mention it as he has said it.” – John Conington
- “If the dream may be a translation of waking life, waking life is additionally a translation of the dream.” – Magritte
- “The difference between the proper word and therefore the almost right word is basically an outsized matter – it’s the difference between lightning and a firefly .” – Clemens
- “Translation is one among the few human activities where the impossible occurs by principle.” – Mariano Antolín Rato
International Translation Day 2021: Wishes and Messages
- Writers make national literature, while translators make universal literature. Happy International Translation Day!
- The translator may be a privileged writer who has the chance to rewrite masterpieces in their own language. Happy International Translation Day!
- We wish all translators a cheerful International Translation Day!
- The translator is that the author’s accomplice. Wishing you a cheerful International Translation Day!
- Translators are horses changed at the posthouses of civilization. Happy International Translation Day!
- Translating means having the honesty to stay to an allusive imperfection. Happy International Translation Day!
- Translators are the shadow heroes of literature, the usually forgotten instruments that make it possible for various cultures to speak to at least one another, who have enabled us to know that we all, from every a part of the planet , sleep in one world. Happy International Translation Day!
- the interpretation isn’t a simple job but you’re doing this job really alright ..On International Translation Day, i would like to increase warm greetings on your wonderful job.
- As you continue building linguistic bridges together, we wish you a cheerful International Translation Day!
- The occasion of International Translation Day will always remind us that we’ve many talented translators doing a superb job of translating content to assist us reach the content of other languages.