29th July is mentioned because the Global Tiger Day also per annum . The day is observed to mark the declining population of tigers across the world . The decline happened within the 20th century and therefore the number is luckily on rise again thanks to the continued efforts of the people. India prepares the tiger estimation report every four years and last report was released in 2018.
In 1973, Project Tiger was started in India which was a singular decide to save tigers on the earth . Since it youth there have been 9 tiger reserves but the Tiger Project coverage has increased to 50.
But consistent with WWF around 3,900 wild tigers are left within the world. Since the start of the 20th century, over 95% of the world’s tiger population is lost. it’s said that across Asia, the snaring crisis poses a grave threat to wild tigers.
We can’t deny the very fact that tigers are the foremost important species of the cat family and also one among the most iconic animals on the earth . a few century ago, there may are over 100,000 tigers that roam on the earth .
A conservational goal which is so ambitious was found out by the govt of the 13 range countries to double the amount of untamed tigers by 2022 within the next Chinese year of the tiger.
There is a famous quote “Where tigers thrive, it’s a symbol that the ecosystem is healthy”.
India’s only Golden Tiger spotted in Kaziranga National Park: All you would like to understand
International Tiger Day: History
International Tiger Day was established in 2010 at Saint Petersburg Tiger Summit in Russia to boost awareness about the decline of untamed tiger numbers, leaving them within the brink of extinction and to encourage the work of Tiger conservation. within the Summit, a declaration was made that Governments of tiger populated countries had vowed to double the tiger population by 2020.
Several events per annum are organised by animal organisations like WWF, IFAW, and therefore the Smithsonian Institute.
Reasons behind the declining population of Tigers
- Poaching and illegal trade: For traditional Chinese medicines, tigers face the matter of poaching as there’s a requirement for each a part of the body of the tiger. In illegal wildlife trades, they keep high prices.
- Habitat loss: Nowadays and with the increasing population forest are getting less in numbers. Clearing of forests for several reasons like agriculture, industries, etc. made a loss of around 93% of the natural habitats of tigers.
- Climate Change: With the increase of water level thanks to global climate change cause wiping out of Sundarbans one among the habitats of Royal Bengal Tigers.
- Several diseases also are the key factor. Several animals die and there’s no thanks to ascertain the explanation for their death. Certain diseases spread epidemic like Feline Panleucopania, tuberculosis, etc.
- The study of Wildlife Institute of India (WII) within the Ranthambore Tiger Reserve (RTR) says that the tiger population within the park shown a loss of genetic diversity over the years.
- Degradation of Habitats: Big cats want secure and disturbance-free habitat to survive but thanks to several developmental activities within the landscape of the protected areas (PAs) pose an enormous threat to tigers.
- Man-animal conflict also affects the population of massive cats.
- Lack of protection infrastructure.
- Increasing tourism day by day is additionally one among the factors for the decline in tiger numbers.
All India Tiger Estimation Report 2018:
According to the report released by Prime Minister Narendra Modi namely ‘All India Tiger Estimation Report 2018’ India has achieved its 2022 target of tiger population within the country. India now has 2,967 tigers. the expansion within the 4th cycle of the Tiger Census has been 33 percent. 4 years before the deadline, India has achieved a target. Nine years ago in St. Petersburg, it had been decided to double the population of the tiger by 2022.
Let us tell you that consistent with the census, Madhya Pradesh saw the very best number of tigers that’s 526 which is closely followed by Karnataka at 524 and Uttarakhand with 442 tigers at number 3 position.
There is a decline within the population of tiger in Chhattisgarh and Mizoram while tiger numbers in Odisha remained constant.
Note: In 2014, there have been 692 protected areas, which increased to quite 860 in 2019. The 33% rise in tiger numbers is that the highest ever recorded between cycles which stood at 21% between 2006 to 2010 and 30% between 2010 and 2014.
Tigers are a neighborhood of our planets’ natural heritage; they even have great cultural and historical significance. little question they’re also crucial for the ecosystems during which they live. We can’t ignore that tigers not only protect the forest by maintaining ecological integrity but also they carry the very best levels of protection and investment to a neighborhood . Therefore, we call them as “umbrella species” that’s their conservation also conserve many other species within the same area.
So, protect and conserve tigers!
International Tiger Day 2021: Theme And Significance
This International Day is widely known annually with the slogan/theme, “Their Survival is in our hands”. the most aim is to aware people of the declining tiger population and conserving tigers globally. consistent with World Wildlife Fund (WWF), globally there are only 3900 tigers are left.
95% of the tiger population got extinct within the activities like poaching from the start of the 20th century. Tigers are one among the foremost majestic and royal species that we’ve seen globally. they’re also called the “Umbrella Species” as their conservation also conserves many other species within the same habitat.
Tiger Conservation in India
As per the newest tiger estimation report released by Prime Minister, India’s tiger population is 2967 tigers. this is often the very best number of tigers thus far a rustic has globally. Project Tiger was also launched in India within the year 1973. due to the planned efforts under Project Tiger within the current situation, India features a maximum number of tigers within the world.
Reasons for Decrease in Tiger Population
Habitat Loss – Humans have hamper the forest area for purposes like agricultural lands, timber and make enough lebensraum . The cutting of forests has led to a 93% loss of tigers’ natural habitat, hence lowering the probabilities of survival.
Poaching & Illegal Trade – Poaching of tigers happens as there’s an enormous demand for every part of the tiger from whiskers to its tail.
Climate Changes – Rising Sea levels of Sunderbans are wiping out. it’s the most important habitat of the Royal Bengal Tigers.
“Tiger may be a symbol of Beauty, Bravery, Strength, and Nationality so save the Tiger. save the state Pride.”
Ways to Conserve Tigers
Here’s a sneak peek by which we will help conserve, maintain and increase the Tiger population:
Conserve Natural Habitats – Minimizing the lowering of forests for human needs would help save forests hence saving the natural habitat for tigers.
Control Climate Changes – Controlling climate changes will help us save Sunderbans, the most important habitat for the Royal Bengal Tigers. allow us to make efforts to try to to because it wouldn’t be wise enough to drive it from bad to worse.
Prefer Sanctuaries/Reservoirs to Zoo – Wildlife sanctuaries are bigger spaces, and when amongst nature, tigers are much reception than being caged during a zoo.
Different Species of Tigers
- Siberian Tiger – The tigers that live in icy conditions only.
- Bengal Tiger – These tigers are found in Asia. In Asia, Bengal tigers are found in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India and Nepal.
- Indochinese Tiger – These tigers can be seen in several Asian Countries. Indochinese Tigers are found in Burma, Cambodia, Laos, China, Vietnam and Thailand.
- Malaysian Tiger – These tigers can be found only in the south of the Malay Peninsula.
- South China Tigers – These are one of the most endangered tiger subspecies. They are more endangered than the Sumatran tigers.
- Sumatran Tigers – These tigers are the largest cat family member and one of the most charismatic endangered species on the planet.
Extinct Tiger Species
- Bali Tiger
- Caspian Tiger
- Javan Tiger
- Tiger Hybrids
There are different colours of tigers like White tigers, Brown tiger with black stripes and Golden tigers. It is such a pleasant sight to watch this charismatic animal walk in all its majesty. Let us let them live happily in their natural habitats and breed more and a number of them. Love and let the tiger live!
Save Tiger Slogans
“The world will not be the same if tigers are not there to thrill us and balance us.”
“What will these sanctuaries have for adventure if there are no tigers left on the planet.”
“Tigers are a wonderful creation of Mother Nature and we must join hands to protect them.”