Mother’s Day 2021: Mother’s Day is celebrated in India on the second Sunday of May every year, and this year the celebration will fall on May 9, 2021.
In India: They say a mother is one who can take the place of all others, but nobody can take her place, and we all know this could be an axiomatic truth. From the day her child is born to the day she breathes her last, a mother only lives for her child. From feeding them their first morsel, hearing their first tantrum, guiding them through their first heart break and being the constant support and shoulder to cry on, the duty of a mother is endless and her job relentless. There are no days off, no pay and absolutely no gratitude (we all know we can be difficult children), but a mother’s love can never be changed and for her, her fully grown adult offspring will still seem like a little baby. And Mother’s Day is the celebration which honours such unbelievable selfless humans that take care of us and nurture us through our lives. Mother’s Day is celebrated in India on the second Sunday of May every year, and this year the celebration will fall on May 9, 2021.
History of Mothers Day
Mother’s Day was first celebrated in the US, in 1908 when a woman named Anna Jarvis wished to commemorate Mother’s Day as a recognised holiday to honour her mother, Ann Reese Jarvis who was a peace activist and had passed away three years prior. Anna had a memorial for her mother in St. Andrews Methodist Church in West Virginia – which is now the International Mother’s Day Shrine. Anna Jarvis wanted to honour her mother as she believed that a mother is “the person who has done more for you than anyone in the world”.
Origin of Mother’s Day
The origins of Mother’s Day as celebrated in the United States date back to the 19th century. In the years before the Civil War, Ann Reeves Jarvis of West Virginia helped start “Mothers’ Day Work Clubs” to teach local women how to properly care for their children.
These clubs later became a unifying force in a region of the country still divided over the Civil War. In 1868 Jarvis organized “Mothers’ Friendship Day,” at which mothers gathered with former Union and Confederate soldiers to promote reconciliation.
Date of Mother’s Day 2021
While in India Mother’s Day is celebrated on the second Sunday or May, it is celebrated on different days in the different countries around the world. In the UK it is celebrated on the fourth Sunday of March to honour the Mother Church on Christian Mothering Sunday. As for Greeks, they celebrate the festival on February 2
On this day, children usually buy gifts, throw parties and do things for their mothers to show them their love, respect and appreciation. Usually mothers are relieved of all their duties and allowed to rest as the rest of the family takes on their duties. And given that the workload of moms may have tripled amid the coronavirus lockdown, this opportunity should be taken to make sure our mothers, who play makeshift teachers, cooks, doctors, counsellors, friends, and take on any role that is required of them, are treated like queens, even if just for a day.
Is that how you are going to wish your mom on a cheerful occasion of Mother’s Day? Please don’t!
That’s so straightforward and lacks emotions. These simple words are not just enough to match the mother’s Love. Try to be a bit creative. Juice out your mind and try to play with words to create a wish that will stick forever to your mom’s heart.
|Interesting Mother’s Day Facts:|
|Mother’s Day is often associated with Mothering Sunday, a Christian holiday. They are not related to each other.|
|Mother’s Day has also been linked to Cybele, a Greek tradition and Hilaria, a Roman festival. Again, they are not related to Mother’s Day.|
|The first Mother’s Day was celebrated in 1908. Anna Jarvis honored her mother Ann Jarvis with a memorial. Ann Jarvis had started a committee in 1868 to establish ‘Mother’s Friendship Day’. Her motivation had been to reunite families after the Civil War. She died in 1905, before Mother’s Day became a holiday.|
|In 1912, Anna Jarvis trademarked both ‘Mother’s Day’ and ‘the second Sunday in May’. She also created Mother’s Day International Association.|
|Mother’s Day became a recognized holiday in 1914 in the United States.|
|By the 1920s it had become so commercialized already that Anna Jarvis was disappointed.|
|The holiday was then adapted into many other countries.|
|In the 1800s attempts were made to celebrate mothers in various parts of the U.S. but none of them reached beyond their local areas.|
|Approximately 122 million phone calls are made to moms on Mother’s Day in the United States.|
|In most countries and languages, the word for mother begins with ‘m’.|
|The most common flower for Mother’s Day is the carnation; pink and red for mothers who are alive and white for those who have passed away.|
|A legend states that carnations were made from the tears of Jesus’ mother when she wept at his feet when he was crucified.|
|Of all the flowers bought for holidays, one quarter are purchased for Mother’s Day.|
|The amount of money spent on Mother’s Day in the U.S. is approximately $14 billion.|
|Common gifts on Mother’s Day include: flowers, dinner or lunch in a restaurant, jewelry, gift cards, clothing and treats such as a trip to a spa. Books, CDs, housewares and gardening tools are popular gifts as well.|
|Research has proven that there are actually health benefits to receiving flowers.|
|In Bolivia, the date chosen for Mother’s Day was based on the day that women participated in a battle. Other countries have also chosen the date for Mother’s Day to coincide with holidays that also celebrate women.|
|The writer of The Battle Hymn of the Republic, Julia Howe, tried to start a Mother’s Day in 1872. It was an antiwar observance first held in 1872. It continued in Boston but after 10 years it had lost its popularity.|
Happy Mother’s Day 2021 Quotes, Wishes, Images, Messages, Status, Whatsapp Status, Facebook Status, Sms
- Mom, thanks for everything that I inherited from you and thank you for bringing me to this world. Happy Mothers Day 2021
- It’s a fact that your selfless Love can’t be celebrated in a single day, all I want to say is that I am nothing without you.
- I believe in love at first sight, because I’ve been loving you mom since I opened my eyes.
- Your arms were always open when I needed a hug. Your heart understood when I needed a friend. Your gentle eyes were stern when I needed a lesson. Your strength and love has guided me and gave me wings to fly.
- You are the all-season fruitful tree of my life, and you are the reason for my wide smile. Happy Mother’s Day, Mommy.
- You carried me for nine long months with utmost love and still doing the same. You are a divine soul, Mom.
- You have been the most supportive and generous person I have ever known. Thanks for having a huge heart and loving me.
- The best medicine for me in the world is your hug.
- To the world, you are a mother, but for me, you are the world.
- Listen Mom, for me, you are the greatest gift of God.
- Every time I look into your eyes, it makes me realize that it is the purest Love I can find on earth.
- To my incredible, fun, wonderful, and loving mom: I love sharing long talks, long walks, and long life with you.
- I haven’t seen God and don’t even want to because I see you. Happy Mother’s Day Maa
- Thank you for your never-ending love and support. Mom! I hope your day is full of love and happiness. Happy Mother’s Day!
- My life is good because it runs on your teachings
- If I didn’t have you as mom, I’d choose you as a friend.
- If love is as beautiful as a flower, then my mother is that beautiful flower of love.
- A mother is your first friend, your best friend, and your forever friend.
- Motherhood : All love begins and ends there.
- God could not be everywhere, and therefore he made mothers.