Buddha Purnima (Vesak or Hanamatsuri) is a major festival for those who believe in Buddhism. It is celebrated on the full moon of Baisakh month. On the day of Buddha Purnima, Gautama Buddha was born, on this day he attained enlightenment and on this day he was also blessed with greatness.
543 BC On the full moon of Baisakh month Buddha was born in Lumbini , Shakya state (present-day Nepal ). On this full moon day, 43 BC I was Mahaparinirvana in ‘Kushanara’ at the age of 40. The present day Kushinagar was the ‘Kushanara’. Buddha Purnima is on 26 May in this year 2021. (today)
Buddha Purnima honors the birth, death, and enlightenment of Gautam Buddha and according to various discourses available on Lord Buddha, all of these events are believed to have taken place on the very same day.
History of Buddha Purnima
Prince Siddhartha, who later became Gautam Buddha was born in Nepal in 400 B.C. He was raised in a luxurious palace secluded from the sufferings of the world outside. However, one day Prince Siddhartha decided to find a higher purpose in life.
He left the palace and roamed around the kingdom dressed up as an impersonator. During his journey, he met various people who were distressed because of diseases and old age, and he also observed death closely. This event influenced him as he witnessed the ephemeral nature of human life.
It was at that moment he took an oath to leave his luxurious life and seek ‘moksha’. He made his way towards the forest to live his life as an ascetic. It was only after he achieved great enlightenment that he conferred the title, Gautama Buddha.
Significance of Buddha purnima
Lord Buddha was only 29-years old when he decided to seek answers to his questions about human life and abandoned his luxurious and married life behind. Throughout his life, he imparted his teachings and values to various followers and people
The Birth, Enlightenment and Parinibbana of the Buddha is commemorated on Vesak Full Moon day in the month of May. It is a graceful and colorful event here in Sri Lanka but this year on May 26th, and in the last year all related functions were limited to homes because of the pandemic situation.
People who have embraced Buddhism in India prefer to wear white clothes and avoid consuming non-vegetarian food. Instead, they have ‘kheer’ as it is believed that a woman offered a bowl of milk to Gautam Buddha. Usually, the day sees colourful processions by Buddhists from the surrounding communities to the pagodas. People pour water at the foot of the Bodhi Tree, give alms, and meditate.
Many devotees visit Mahabodhi Temple, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, located in Bodh Gaya, Bihar, on the occasion of Buddha Purnima. Bodhi Temple is the location where Lord Buddha is said to have attained enlightenment.
Celebrations of Buddha Purnima
At the time of Vesak Celebrations, the entire country is decorated and free food is offered everywhere for everybody no matter to which faith they belong to, for 2- 3 days. Some Christians too decorate their houses while Muslims and Tamils specially the young children are very supportive in decorations. During the Vesak nights, people of all faiths crowd the streets to gaze and admire the various lighted creations by the road sides. This is a cultural resplendence where every single person finds solace. Such every single citizen no matter to which faith they belong to, have an esteemed respect to Buddhism.
Rituals are Performed During the Festival
Many Buddhists visit temples on Buddha Jayanti to listen to monks give talks and recite ancient verses. Devout Buddhists may spend all day in one or more temples. Some temples display a small statue of Buddha as a baby. The statue is placed in a basin filled with water and decorated with flowers. Visitors to the temple pour water over the statue. This symbolizes a pure and new beginning. Other statues of Buddha are worshiped by offerings of incense, flowers, candles and fruit.
Buddhists pay special attention to Buddha’s teachings Buddha Jayanti. They give money, food or goods to organizations that help the poor, elderly, and those who are sick. Caged animals are bought and set free to show care for all living creatures, as preached by Buddha. The usual dress is pure white. Non-vegetarian food is normally avoided. Kheer, a sweet rice porridge is also commonly served to recall the story of Sujata, a maiden who offered the Buddha a bowl of milk porridge.
ON THIS AUSPICIOUS DAY OF BUDDHA PURNIMA, WE PRESENT SOME INSPIRING QUOTES, GREETINGS, MESSAGES, AND WHATSAPP STATUSES THAT YOU CAN SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY
Buddham Sharanam Gacchami Dhammam Sharanam Gacchami Sangham Sharanam Gacchami A blissful Buddha Purnima to you and your loved ones.
May Lord Buddha enlighten you on the path of love, peace, and truth. Happy Buddha Purnima!
We live in illusion and the appearance of things. There is a reality. We are that reality. When you understand this, you see that you are nothing, and being nothing, you are everything. That is all. Happy Buddha Purnima
The mind is everything. What you think you become”. Therefore, think of peace and blissfulness. A very happy Buddha Purnima to you
May the full moon of Buddha Purnima away the darkness of ignorance, bigotry, and hatred and herald an era of contentment peace and enlightenment for the world!
Heartiest Greetings on this day Happy Buddha Jayanti!!This Buddha Purnima, learn the teachings of the enlightened soul, who we all know as Gautama Buddha
.Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment”. Therefore, make the most of this beautiful day by connecting to your inner self.
On Buddha Purnima, here’s wishing you peace, love, happiness, good health and prosperity.May Buddha Purnima herald a new phase of happiness, contentment, good health and tranquillity.
This Buddha Purnima, may you get enlightened by the divine rays and grace of the Almighty
Some Inspiring Quotes by Gautam buddha
1. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
2. Three things cannot be long hidden: The sun, the moon and the truth.
3. Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
4. No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
5. You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You, yourself as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.
6. We are shaped by our thoughts, we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.
7. Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.
8. Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else, you are the one who gets burned.
9. We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
10. You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deseve your love and affection.
Happy Buddha Purnima 2021 बुद्ध पूर्णिमा 2021 Wishes, Images, Quotes: Hindi
1. अवसर आया है शांति का, आया है प्यार का त्यौहार, जिसने दी हमें शांत और प्यार, ऐसे भगवान का आज है त्यौहार, बुद्ध पूर्णिमा की शुभकामनाएं.
2. बुद्ध के ध्यान में मगन हैं, सबके दिल में शांति का वास है तभी तो ये बुद्ध पूर्णिमा, सबके लिए इतनी खास है बुद्ध पूर्णिमा की शुभकामनाएं
3. प्रभु का हाथ आपके सिर पर हो, सुख-समृद्धि आपके दर पर हो जो आप चाहें वो जरूर पाएं, बुद्ध पूर्णिमा की शुभकामनाएं
4. दिल में नेक ख्याल हो और होठों पर सच्चे बोल बुद्ध जयंती के अवसर सर आपको शांति मिले अनमोल बुद्ध जयंती की शुभकामनाएं
5. दिल में नेक ख्याल हों और होंठो पर सच्चे बोल बुद्ध जयंती के मौके पर आपको शांति मिले अनमोल बुद्ध पूर्णिमा की शुभकामनाएं